Friday, July 30, 2010

Too much oil in a motorcycle oil change, how do i fix it?

I was changing the oil so basically i allowed the oil to drain, then poured in the new oil, but first i poured in 1.4 liters, which was what was written on the oil cap on the bike. I saw no oil in the glass gauge, so i added some more oil, and still saw nothing. I added MMUUUCCCHHHH more oil, and then the gauge was over filled. So i put the motorcycle on, and let it run, and it ran, without the oil cap on, and it was sputtering oil out, and i thought this was a good way to get rid of some oil. Later i closed it n just went home thinking it would be fine. Next day i woke up tried to put the motorcycle on, and it wouldn't start. I even tried kick starting it, and i was able to feel alot of pressure. What i did was remove the cap and put a straw in so that i can remove oil by putting my finger on it. All the straw hit was metal. What should i do to remove some of the oil? Sorry about the extremely long question. Should i just turn it on without the oil cap and let the oil sputter out? I dont want to unscrew it where u let the oil out for the oil change because then too much will come out. any suggestions? thanksToo much oil in a motorcycle oil change, how do i fix it?
You can unscrew the plug about 90% and the oil will slowly leak around it then tighten it when enough oil has come out.





I had to do this on my GTO. I thought the Mobil 1 bottle was a gallon so I put in 1 full bottle and then the second bottle until there was 2 quarts left. The when I finished I realized the bottle was 5 quarts so I had put in 8 quarts instead of 6. I don't know why I did this since the bike is a 4 quart oil change and I leave 1 quart in the bottle, just wasn't thinking I guess.





But do not run the engine if it is substancially overfilled, this can cause big problems.Too much oil in a motorcycle oil change, how do i fix it?
Drain it. Write off the oil that you put in it and start from scratch. Use the correct amount, the oil will be cheap compared to a new engine, you should not run it without the cap on it.
You could try getting a small rubber hose long enough and use it to syphon out like you tried with the straw. The hose wil provide flexibility and allow you to get deep into the engine block.
You need to drain it. Also the bike should be on a center stand when you check the oil to see how much is really in there.
Drain it out in a clean pan and start over.
dump the oil and jus tput in the right amount okay Nimrod?
The first thing you want to do is always check the oil level at the sight glass by having the bike level. Either put it on its center stand (if it has one,) or put a piece of wood under the side or kick stand. Now after you have done that, if it still looks like too much oil is in it, then drain some out. Starting the bike and letting it spatter all over the seat, engine, floor, ground etc is not a good way of doing this. I know that oil is getting expensive, but count it as a lesson learned and take the drain plug out and let the oil drain into a suitable container for recycling, or into a clean container for reuse, since you have no miles on this oil. Then carefully pour in the amount required by your machine-which to me roughly translated into 3.25 us. quarts.





Having a little more oil in the bike is not nearly as dangerous as not having enough.
  • how to apply
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment