Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The threads of the oil-drain hole in my car are crossed.. how do i fix?

Its making the motor oil leak.. its a 17mm hole.





ThanksThe threads of the oil-drain hole in my car are crossed.. how do i fix?
First question is did you do it yourself or was it damaged at a shop? I took a new car I owned to have the oil changes at a jiffy lube type place and they stripped the plug. I made them pay for a new oil pan. The best way to handle a leaking oil pan plug is to replace the pan. The oversize plugs and some of the other quick fix remedies listed in other responses here don't last long and will need to be redone. The only way to fix a problem is do it right the first time. Don't let these other wannabe's convince you otherwise.The threads of the oil-drain hole in my car are crossed.. how do i fix?
Leave it to a 40 year mechanic to turn a $10 job into a $400 job.


Don't just tap it to the same size or it will strip. You need to tap it to the next size up with the same thread pitch and use a larger plug.
Visit your local automotive store, they sell oversized drain plugs. Otherwise replace your oilpan.
you can geta tap to repair it at an auto parts store. bring in the oil bolt with you if you can.
This is easy.....Any hardware store has a small hand screw plunger that fits all oil tank drains...Same thing happened to me and I thought I was screwed, but the plunger works and it's cheap.
They make an self tapping over-sized bolt for just that. You can find it at any good auto parts stores. NAPA should stock them
the auto parts store will have something to rethred the hole take your plug with you...they might have a larger size that might also fit ... for a quick fix you can use pipe tape on the plug.

No comments:

Post a Comment