Monday, August 23, 2010

Need help fixing my disc brake on my mongoose bike got rem-oil on it?

my shox were sticking REALLY bad so i decided to put some of my rem-oil on it to help loosin it up and slide better... it worked but some dripped down on on the front disc brake and now instead of gripping like it should it just slips and slides and doesnt stop can i put somthing on this or do i have to just wait for it to wear off?Need help fixing my disc brake on my mongoose bike got rem-oil on it?
The brake pads are contaminated. You'll probably have to replace them, but try this first...





Remove the pads and SOAK them in denatured (not isopropyl) alcohol for about an hour, then allow to dry overnight. Clean the disc with denatured alcohol too. Reassemble and test. If this didn't do it, new pads are in order.





EDIT: YIPES! Do NOT use carburetor or brake cleaner... they will attack the plastic parts!Need help fixing my disc brake on my mongoose bike got rem-oil on it?
If you have any carburetor cleaner (or similar cleaner, maybe even rubbing alcohol) spray that on it. It should remove the oily film.
Try degreaser. If your rotor is cross drilled or slotted make sure to clean those too.
change the padss?

No comments:

Post a Comment