Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Could too much oil in my motorcycle be the problem with it not starting and how do I fix it?

I added a quart to my 1991 honda nighthawk 750 because it was on the low line, now it is over the high line and it isn't starting. It turns over but wont start. It was running really rough before I put the oil in that's why I thought it might help. What can I do?Could too much oil in my motorcycle be the problem with it not starting and how do I fix it?
Wow. Even though the seller told you the carbs needed service, you decide to stick oil in it to try to cure the rough running condition? Without checking the plugs, or even trying to clean the carbs or the airbox? -Don't lay another finger on it. You might end up pulling the engine out because the chain needs to be tightened. Load your bike up in the truck and take it to the shop and tell them to give it a complete physical. While its in the shop, buy a service manual and read it cover to cover.


When you get it home don't pick up a single tool without referring to the manual first.Could too much oil in my motorcycle be the problem with it not starting and how do I fix it?
you've put a whole two pints into the sump when it only needed a few ounces.


This is never going to be pumped out of the over flow and you need to get it out. It is likely if you do get it started that it is going to pressurize the crankcase and force oil where it shouldn't be.


It may be that it has laready been forced up into the combustion chamber past the rings.


Check the plugs to see if they have been fouled and drain the excess oil from the engine.
I have heard that some Yamahas have this problem but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I haven't heard that Hondas have this problem. You probably need a tune-up, which is now gonna involve trailering it to your bike shop, or getting a mobile mechanic, or checking out the site below.
Buy the manual. Follow the advice. Good luck
Nah that wont affect it starting, if theres to much oil, it'll just come out the overflow
What maintenance have you done in the past?


(tuneup?)
What do you do when it needs fuel? Pump up the tyres?

No comments:

Post a Comment